Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Tour of Santa Fe

My cousin lives about 3.5 hours away, and she's been meeting to see the State Capitol, so she came to visit me a week or so ago. Here are some pictures of what we did and saw:

My cousin and her sons infront of the State Capitol Building. I'm not going to lie--the outside is a total disappointment.

The coolest part of the outside, in my opinion--the trash cans. Sweet, huh?

You don't expect a golden elevator when the outside is adobe. Pretty cool.

This is the ceiling. Not the coolest rotunda I've ever seen, but it's...New Mexican.

State House of Reps, State Senate, and some sweet calligraphy I saw on one of the Senate Rosters. We just don't appreciate hand-done stuff like this as much as we should. So cool.
There is a lot of art in the State Capitol building. These are three of my favorite. There were a lot of tapestries and some interesting modern art, too, but these are the ones I liked best.

Next Stop: Lunch and one of the oldest restaurants in Santa Fe!

They tiled it on the inside with broken dishes. I thought that was really cool.

The next place we went was the Loretto Chapel. I really liked the windmill-type sculptures out front. There's some cool stained glass, and then there is, of course, the miraculous stairway.
The choir loft did not originally have a stairway leading up to it, because all the people who sang were men, so they just used a ladder. Then, nuns starting singing in the choir, so they needed to build a staircase. So, this was built. It didn't originally have handrails, and was unsupported by anything--that's what made it miraculous. They added the handrail for safety, and there's a small support tying it to the column nearby because the surrounding traffic made it shake too much. Anyway, still pretty cool.

Last stop: Children's Museum.
These are the fish. I like watching fish swim around. If I ever get a pet, it will be fish.
Kalos on the pulleys.
Atticus on the pulleys. The scientific part of this is that there were three different sets of pulleys, and you noticed that it's easier to pull yourself up, the more pulleys there are. Pretty cool. And Kalos and Atticus had just learned about simple machines, so that was great.

I thought this part was really cool--you could make a huge bubble around yourself. Unfortunately, that tire gets in the way. Atticus could do it way better than I could.

So that was our trip to Santa Fe. It was fun. There are some other cool things to see, but that will have to wait for another day. Maybe when YOU come visit :)

2 comments:

Hannah Neville McMillan said...

attiucus for real is his name?!?!? I would LOOOOOVE to name my son that, but as in, I think I'll settle for a middle name. IN. LOVE. WITH. THAT. NAME.

Jessica May Lords said...

OH MAN. Bryan wants to name our first son Atticus and isn't really willing to negotiate. At all. He'd die if you knew another kid with that name, he thinks it's just so original (besides Atticus Finch, that is). :) But nothing is truly original these days, after all.