Tuesday, October 7, 2008

General Conference Report, Day 2

Sorry about the delay. I was at my sister's house for the second session and we had dinner and chatted, so we got home a little late. Then last night I decided it was time to catch up on the dishes and it took forever, so I wasn't really up to blogging. Anyway, without further ado...

Sunday Morning Session

>>Pres. Eyring's talk about unity was great. I liked how he talked about speaking well of others. He counseled us to remember that we will be judged in the manner that we judge others. In every situation we should look for what's best in any person's performance. That is what Jesus will do for us when we meet God at the judgement bar. I like that idea.
>>Elder Hales said that we need not defend the Church with overbearance or anger. We should always respond with love. He said to stay on the higher ground of mutual respect.
>>I was really impressed by Sister Dalton. I know I shouldn't say this, but sometimes it is hard to listen to the women speak in General Conference. Sister Dalton's talk was either really good, or I'm maturing, or both, but I loved it. She called for a return to virtue. I think she quoted Pres. Monson as saying, "No friendship is more important than your own clear conscience." So true.
>>Pres. Monson closed the session advising us to "take joy in the journey now."

Sunday Afternoon Session

>>Elder Nelson's analogy about marriage and shopping was awesome. He compared conjugal living to marital shoplifting. Interesting perspective. His advice about marriage was to minimize personal demands and maximize acts of selflessness. That is something I know I need to work on.
>>I liked Elder Cook's quote, "Every cloud we see doesn't result in rain." We should be prepared for unexpected challenges simply by keeping the commandments.

(Like I said, I was at my sister's house. She has three kids, so I eventually came to understand why she wasn't taking notes. It was much harder to pay attention, but it was fun to see them. They're such fun kids.)

1 comment:

V said...

I love the call to return to virtue. Great talk.